Re: escape, not skip, tank traps [was: Re: Inaccessibility of older Flash movies]

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:50:22 -0400 (EDT)
To: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Phill Jenkins wrote:

>Al wrote:
>>My point here is that the skip-nav or its cousin here the skip-movie link,
>>is something to do with what we have today; but that the answer for the
>>future is not a 'skip' method but an 'escape' method that provides the
>>'skip' capability and more.  Navigation bars are just another sub-case
>>along with tables and movies.
>
>Charles wrote:
>>I agree with Al that the model of being able to get into a navigation
>>structure and get out of it at ny point is better than having to decide at
>>the beginnning whether or not to follow the "skip navigation links" link.
>
>Well, we need both.

Agreed. What WCAG requires is that groups of links are identified and
skippable. I think that is one bit, and that being able to escape a block is
important. (That is a requirement in UAAG - checkpoint 9.9
http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG/guidelines.html#tech-nav-structure in the current
draft). In addition, being able to get to "the start of the content" is an
important feature in navigation - like being able to get to a search page for
any collection of pages (analagous to using the browser search for a single
page).

I am not sure that it is explicitly identified as a requirement in
WCAG 1.0 which has a short list of explicit structure requirements and then
requires "navigation bars"...

Cheers

Chaals