Re: UTF8/UTF16

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:17:48 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Some Americans do have good English you know! Perhaps you have been
> over-exposed to American TV and underexposed to their great tradition of
> short-story writing?

I'm referring to the pound sign (u+00A3).  Apart from Microsoft smart quotes,
its the only reason why British internet users often need to go beyond ASCII.

> > Some browsers may sniff out UTF16, even when the HTTP headers don't
> > identify it.

This was meant to refer to HTML browsers, which should be assuming
ISO 8859/1.  My guess is that IE with language detection (i.e. heuristics
for mislabelled character sets) installed may recognize UTF16 in HTML.