RE: 508 vs. W3C

Well, what people do normally in this situation is consider the desires of
their customers. WCAG Priority 1 and Section 508 are different - meeting WCAG
triple-A conformance would cover you for Section 508 and satisfy the US
requirements, but meeting single-A would not.

I don't know the details of the UK Disability Discrimination Act, but I
suspect it would not be satisfied by meeting section 508. I am fairly certain
that the Australian equivalent act would not be satisfied by Section 508.

My two cents worth of advice (and two cents in australia is now legally
worthless) is to go for about WCAG double-A in your development and
maintenance planning, and ensure that you meet Section 508 requirements
immediately. This is becuase the 508 requirement isn't complaint-driven but
rule driven, whereas I understand the UK act as being reactive.

Cheers

Chaals

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Michael R. Burks wrote:

>Steve,
>
>buy the book Constructing Accessible Web Sites which Jim Thatcher and
>several others wrote.  It is published by Glasshous, a company in the UK,
>and is available at: www.icdri.org/constructing_accessible_web_site.htm
========
Steve had actually asked: