Re: Click here

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:52:02 -0700
To: Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

At 10:31 AM -0700 8/9/02, Patrick Burke wrote:
>It's just lazy writing, isn't it?

Exactly.

>It uses a stock phrase instead of describing why a person should
>follow the link, or what will happen if they do. Any good copy
>editor would veto it, at least on most worlds in this star cluster.
>But I give "click here" points for brevity over phrases like
>"activate this hypertext anchor".

Even "follow this link" is more difficult to understand than "click here."
"Click here" is an accepted idiom on the Web and understood by many
people, even if it's bad writing.

It's not an accessibility problem though.  Even if it gets someone's
dander up -- causing offense via insensitivity is NOT an accessibility
problem, although it may be rude.

--Kynn

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com
Kynn on Web Accessibility ->>          http://kynn.com/+sitepoint