Re: onclick vs Re: Click here

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Matt May wrote:
>
> >Another point: some people don't "click," because they don't use a mouse.
> >They may type, or speak, or use a switch, or tap a screen. "Click here"
is
> >bad for much the same reason that the onclick() event in scripting is
bad:
> >the author assumes he or she knows how all users are using a site.
>
> Hmmm. I don't quite agree. 'click here' and onclick() are slightly
different,
> because the words don't require any particular behaviour from the machine,
> whereas the attribute does.

This is why I said "much the same reason" and not "the same reason." <g>
While technical details make onclick() a physical obstacle to some, click
here makes a nuisance to others (particularly while browing an index of
links). What makes them similar is that it exposes an author's monolithic
view of Web site interaction, which is to be avoided. Both are symptomatic
of the syndrome we call "inaccessibility."

-