Re: Click here

From: David Dorward <david@us-lot.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:26:08 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:40:17 +1000
Lynn Alford <lynn.alford@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

> Does anyone have or know of a good page that explains why "click here"
> is bad linking practice?  I have tried various forms of gentle
> persuasion to suggest that "click here" is not good.  I have mentioned
> that some browsers can print a lovely table of urls and link text, at
> which point "click here" is obviously useless.
>
> It's a bad habit of some coworkers who don't want to think about link
> text so they always use "click here".  I need truly excellent reasons
> to show them the light.

If the user is using a browser that lists the links on a page, e.g.
JAWS on one specific mode then all they are going to see/hear is "Click
Here", which tells them absolutely nothing about where the link will
take them.

Not everybody uses a mouse, they might be selecting links by a method
other then clicking.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.