RE: whitespace, navigation links, styled divs

I have done something similar to that; put a "." in a span after each link
and style it to display:none. I don't think this causes any problems for
anyone although if it does I would really like to know. This first came to
my attention when I was playing around with some  Eric Meyer styles and
remember thinking at the time that this would come up on the list sooner or
later ;-)

On a similar theme Mr Meyer also has a way of creating pure css roll-overs
that look great for the browsers that support it but I'm wondering how they
will 'sound' in a screen-reader and look in a text-browser. They work thus:

the <span> is set to display:none and then using a:hover it is set to
display:block with fixed positioning. My first thought is that the roll-over
text will get read out in screen-readers as part of the link text because it
is contained within the <a> tags but I can't see another way of creating the
same effect that would be accessible. Any ideas?

regards
Julian

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as possible.