RE: New Window inform

At 7:51 AM -0400 7/26/02, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>There are now user agents that allow this in various ways. There are also
>user agents which take the alternative approach, of informing the user. For
>example iCab does this visually.

There's even another way to make this no longer an author issue, and now
a user agent -- or even user -- issue.  Using user style sheets.

Toss a rule like this into your user style sheet, on modern browser
with good CSS2 support:

      a[target="_new"]:after { content: "(This will open in a new window.)"; }

Ta da!  Problem solved.  Now all links that will create new windows are
identified for you.

No content generation support?  Time to get a browser that supports
Web standards better.  :)  Okay, just kidding on that, but really, this
should be a solved problem by now.  CSS2 gives us the ability to warn
ourselves, and a warning from the author isn't necessary.

--Kynn

PS:  I should add this to FUSSY, once I find time to get back to working
      on that project.

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com
Kynn on Web Accessibility ->>          http://kynn.com/+sitepoint