From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gilman
Sent: 06 August 2002 04:07 PM
To: Brian Kelly; 'John Foliot - bytown internet'; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk
Subject: RE: Support for LONGDESC (back-links)

At 10:08 AM 2002-08-06, Brian Kelly wrote:

>It's not clear from your example, whether the "Return to referring
>page" link is generated by the browser or is in the longdesc file.
>Looking at your longdesc file -
>http://www.bytowninternet.com/examples/ctry_usage.html
>I think the link is hardcoded - which will not be what's needed if you
>want a single description linked to from many images.  You could use
>some JavaScript to generate the link to the referrer page, or this
>could be provided by the browser's implementation of longdesc support -

>but you wouldn't want to do both.

The browser provides a 'back' function and should not be generating
content into the document redundant to this.

It is OK to put a scripted backlink in the page, but there should be
voice over in the page text that says something like "use your browser's
back button or this link to..."

Yes, we need a palette of browser techniques and a palette of author
techniques that are compatible in mix-and-match fashion.  The
suitability of the techniques on one end of the comm link should not be
entirely dependent on which of the other end techniques are implemented
for this particular browse session / page fetch.

Al