Re: Turning off style sheets in IE 5.5

Phill:
You could try the "Kill Style Sheets" bookmarklet available at: http://www.508compliant.com/tools.htm

Kathleen

From: "Phill Jenkins" <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date:  Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:37:59 -0400

Does anyone know how to turn off style sheets completely in Internet
Explorer 5.5?

In the "Accessibility" settings [see screen shot below] under the "General"
tab in "Internet Options", one can turn off colors, font styles, and font
sizes, but it seems that other style sheet properties, such as positioning,
still get applied.  For example, when loading the W3C Style Sheets home
page [see footnote 1], text is still written on top of other text.  The
order on the graphical screen is very different than the text order [see
footnote 4].

Would it make sense to create my own style sheet complete with all the
elements, but no styles applied in order for it to cancel all the previous
styles applied in the cascade?   I tried an "empty" .css file, but it did
NOT cancel the cascade of previous styles since it was empty.

Why do I ask? I'm trying to determine if there is a good way to test WCAG
1.0 checkpoint 6.1 [see footnote 2] using IE 5.5.  By the way, it's real
easy to "turn off" CSS in Netscape and Opera.  IE's HELP only discusses
fonts, colors, and sizes.

trying to be un-stylistic,
Phill Jenkins

[1] W3C Style Sheets home page http://www.w3.org/Style/
[2] WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 6.1
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-TECHS/#tech-order-style-sheets
[3] screen shot of IE 5.5 Accessibility settings:

Text view of [1]:
   Web Style Sheets
   home page
   What's new?
   What are style sheets?
   Press clippings
   Conferences
   CSS
   DSSSL
   XSL
   CSS-DOM & SAC
   "Hopefully, future Web innovations will emulate the example set by the
Web Consortium in its work on CSS"
   -- Jakob Nielsen