Re: do vector graphics enhance our concept of self?

Well, jpeg itself doesn't have transparency, nor allow animation of parts of
the picture. So it isn't going to help you, and rather than trying to rebuild
jpeg from the ground up for technical reasons it seems smarter to use SVG
(the specification requires support of jpeg, so you don't lose anything that
jpeg already provided). In fact if you want to convert an SVG to a jpeg (and
lose the transparency and other neat features - I'll try to make an animated
example) there is a tool available as part of the Batik toolkit.

I think you should be moaning about the fact that your browser doesn't yet
ship with SVG. (Some browsers do, of course).

(It is possible in some versions of HTML to have a plugin downloaded
automatically, but unfortunately you don't get to choose which of the systems
that can handle a particular format is installed. Fine for most people, but
it means that someone can't easily choose a more suitable plugin for their
needs. Further development - see http://www.w3.org/TR/CX if you're
fascinated)

Cheers

Chaals