Re: standard key mappings

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> The basic problem is that the user base won't insist on a single standard.
> That's not actualy unreasonable - the world is a big place, and different
> people want different things.

and sometimes things just get entrenched and the majority refuse to change
even when there is no reason not to and every reason to make the
change.  I personally would never consider using the obsolete QWERTY
keyboard but the vast majority of the population of the world continue to
plug along with that anachrism that was designed over 150 years ago with
the intentional purpose of slowing down a typist.......sometimes even when
there is a "convention" even if it is not formally a standard many folks
will refuse to make the change.  A prime example is the question, Why does
the United States not make the logical and easy change to the
international standard of the Metric system???????

> >In my experience these things are application-specific. Some of the more
> >widespread applications have widespread standards - MacOS introduced
> >command-C, command-X and command-V many years ago, and some variation of
> >this
> >is now pretty common on non-unix systems (which tend to use shift-delete,
> >shift-insert or control-c, control-w, control-y). Beyond that, it seems
> >pretty hard to get unification.

and this is before one begins to try to figure out the motives of M$ and
why they intentionally fly in the face of convention when they continually
change the standards, sometimes standards they themselves recently set

 Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks