RE: do vector graphics enhance our concept of self?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spin.ie>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:37:04 +0100
To: "WAI List \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> my point was really that jpegs are quite a few years old, and bar
> the silly
> copyright issue, surely someone (in scandinavia?) could bring out a mark 1
> version with transparency?
> this might degrade quite nicely from SVG.

IIRC the last JPEG standard was published in 2000, I'm not sure if it can be
used in JFIF though.

I imagine that it would be quite difficult to reliably provide transparency
information along side JPEGs though. Certainly the mechanism GIF employs
wouldn't be applicable. The only way I can think of right now would be to
provide a transparency (or alpha if you want to go for bonus credit :) mask
with the photograph, and then use a lossless form of compression (presumably
gzip would be preferred over LZW :) on the mask. JFIF allows for
application-specific data to be included, so you could do this in a
backwards compatible manner.

Just the use of two very different compression formats in the one file
format begins to feel kludgy.

If someone wants in the US wants to smuggle a Spec that does this across the
Iron Curtain to me here in the Free World I'll publish it on a
you-can-only-patent-inventions-here-so-stick-your-lawsuit webserver, but I
think I'd just use 24-bit PNGs instead.