RE: non-sgml characters

From: Shashank Tripathi <sub@shanx.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:45:11 +0900
To: "'David Woolley'" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Thanks for the note David.

    | Effectively any modern browsers does this (except
    | probably UTF-16,
    | rather than UTF-8).

Does this mean that I only have to change the charset element on my meta
tag to "UTF-8", with the *same* big5 text, and the browser will
automatically show the correct characters? If this is what you meant,
let me tell you I have tried it and it doesn't work, not with big5, not
with Shift_JIS and I suspect not with any other languages. Please
correct me if I was trying something incorrectly, which is possible.

Thanks,
Shashank