Re: compatibility

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Tina Marie Holmboe wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 10:38:40AM -0400, John Foliot - bytown internet wrote:
>
> > Tom, you have succinctly paraphrased my points.  Adding the "suggestion to
> > upgrade" message can be done with tact and decorum; we don't neccessarily
> > need to hit people over the head with a brick.
>
>   Could you, then, suggest to us a diplomatic method of describing the
>   situation in which a person is using a browser such as Lynx to gain
>   access to the text only content, and furthermore how a message such
>   as the one quoted would NOT, to a blind person, feel like being hit
>   over the head with that brick when read time and time again because
>   their text browser doesn't support CSS, and their speech system doesn't
>   support ACSS ?

yes tell us we want to know.  ;8*}

> > the powers that be, so too with the end users... if we start telling people
> > that they have both a choice and a responsibility to upgrade their software,
> > and that truly it is not that hard to do, then why not?

but I am running the latest version of Lynx 2.8.3

>   It truly IS that hard to do. The day a user can upgrade his/her eyes to
>   a more 'standards compliant' (20/20) set, we'll be rid of many problems
>   in accessibility, but up until that time it would be a damned idea to
>   put in such a notice.

not really because there are other people/disabilities tho less numerous
which must use a text browser...visually impaired are the most visible (is
that an oxymoron??) and most vocal it seems

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks