RE: creating a menu

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spin.ie>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:28:49 +0100
To: "WAI \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> I am currently using UL and LI to create menus.
>
> <ul>
> 	<li class="navHeader">Cheeses</li>
> 	<li>Limburger</li>
> 	<li>Swiss</li>
> </ul>
>
> But should I be using another method?  Such as;
>
> <dl>
> 	<dt>Cheeses</dt>
> 	<dd>Limburger</dd>
> 	<dd>Swiss</dd>
> </dl>
>
> Or does it even matter?  I'm attempting WCAG Level AAA compliance.

The former is a list of items of which "Cheeses" is one and "Swiss" is
another, i.e. it puts "Cheeses" on the same semantic level as "Swiss".

The latter defines "Cheeses" as "Limburger" and "Swiss", which is quite a
push.

<ul>
  <li>
    Cheeses
    <ul>
      <li>Limburger</li>
	<li>Swiss</li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>

Is a bit more plausible, and one possible approach.