RE: compatibility

From: RUST Randal <RRust@COVANSYS.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:50:46 -0400
To: "'David Poehlman'" <poehlman1@comcast.net>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

>Standards do not necessarily beget accessibility or usability.

Agreed. But it's a start.  And we have to start somewhere.

>many "standards" compliant sites out there which sneer at accessibility.

This is true.

>I am answering two posts at once here and I am coming from a long
background of experience in accessing sites
>which claim to be standard or accessible which defy me to get a new
browser.

In speaking with WaSP members and reading their articles, I'm pretty sure
they only use this method because they couldn't think of anything better.

>We need to take the burden off the user and put it on the developers and
creators who serve us.

Developers need to be educated.  So do designers.  This is the most pivotal
problem.  I had an intern who was being taught to use FrontPage and design
with tables.  This was just a couple of months ago.  I taught her how to use
CSS and told her to tell her professor to learn how to design for 2002, not
1995.

Randal