RE[2]: non-sgml characters

Sorry for the multiple messages.

for a more tutorial starting point consider

 http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=character+entities

And start with the first link in the search results.

HTH

Al

At 08:26 AM 2002-07-15, Steven McCaffrey wrote:
>Apparently there is also unicode and SGML.  Is there a overview of the different kinds of icon representation methods that does not get too detailed about the inner workings of each character set.

Steve,

I don't know if this is going to be readable enough or not.

What Google came up with for me as the lead hit was

 http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset.html

Read down through the Dan Connolly note about "charsets considered harmful"
and Glenn's response to that.

Another starting point is the Character Model document

 http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/

Please tell us if either of these works for you.

Al

PS:  For what it's worth the search query I used was

 http://www.google.com/search?q=character+set+vs.+character+encoding