From: "Andrew Johns" <andrew.johns@jkd.co.uk>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 4:50 AM
Subject: RE: Embedded Sound without Java

Thanks for your comments from David and Bob so far.

I am aware of the problems with hardware and high bandwidth, however I
am not suggesting that the audio embedding is the only method of
providing better accessibility, nor am I suggesting that they would have
this sound forced upon them.

What I AM proposing is to have preferences by which the user can turn on
Audio for navigation, etc.  From the hardware point of view, (e.g. not
accessible to those without soundcards, bandwidth, etc) this isn't an
issue, as this is no different from providing another alternative form
of accessibility, such as the hardware required to convert a webpage to
braile.  All we're doing is giving them the option to make use of any
hardware that they DO have.

What I want to achieve is a method of providing audio transcriptions of
navigation, regardless of platform and hardware.  If there is no way of
doing so with one player, maybe it IS possible to provide the user with
the ability to choose their audio player of choice in their preferences.

Thanks again for your comments so far,

Kind Regards,

Andy