Inaccessibility of Amazon.com

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 04:18:17 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

I note that Amazon's homepage is particularly and unnecessarily inaccessible!.

     http://www.amazon.com

There is no alt text, even for the initial images with visual word choice
boxes.

Their main page has tab order with 155 tabs (according to the WAVE analysis
view.)

Number 153 gets a Text Only version, with only 133 tabs. With the text-only
choice, the main content begins at tab 77.

Amazon is missing the opportunity to reach a larger audience. I've just
sent these comments to them.

Regards/Harvey Bingham