Re: W3C icon redesigns

I don't think we have an anti-design bias.

(To address Dave Woolley's point, it isn't necessary to have commercial
anything - it is just necessary to do a good job. If the most effective way
for a site to do that is pay someone, so be it, but the results are what is
important - can anyone use our site or not.)

Do you mean "who is going to put the W3C logo on their site?" (W3C I assume)
or who is going to want a text equivalent that says "W3C logo" (not me - I
would prefer, in most cases, that a link to W3C was identified as "W3C" but
this is a step forward from [w3c_home.png] ...

In general I think we are in flaimng agreement. In order to make
accessibility a reality it needs to be realistic for designers. Quite
frankly, this means that tools need to support designers with a minimum of
pain, and contracts for designers need to be specific about the importance of
designers. Fortunately I see good progress in both these areas - not as much
as I would like, but more than I have sometimes imagined in my fearful
moments.

To quote Dave Winer as quoted by Joe, "disabled users don't want
'accessibility' - they want to use the web".

By the way, there is an offical feedback address for comments on the site -
site-comments@w3.org - we may not have the resources to concentrate on the
many stadnards we are working on *and* produce a brilliant website, but the
messages to that list do get read and are taken into account in assigning
what resources we do have.

Case in point - I can read and respond to this email, or try to work on the
accessibiltiy of VoiceXML, or try to update the information and navigation
structure of the pages I am responsible for. In the hours I have available I
try to strike a balance, and that makes this email something I do in my spare
time.

cheers

Charles McCN

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Joe Clark wrote:

  <http://www.yayhooray.com/s-forums.cfm?action=read&id=56241>

  > This is the crud we get for complying with web standards:
  > [W3C logo]
  > Who is going to put that on their site?

  Good to see some discussion of the anti-design bias of the W3C and
  the offputting ugliness of the W3C's sites, rivaling even Jakob
  Nielsen's. If you want designers to comply with Web standards--
  including accessibility-- then that means you want designers to
  work at your level. In return, you have to be working at the
  *designers'* level. It's quid pro quo.