RE: Mandatory field labelling

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:06:32 -0500 (EST)
To: RUST Randal <RRust@COVANSYS.com>
cc: "WAI (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
A screenreader will often not render it. Why does it need to be hidden
anyway?

Chheers

Chaals

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, RUST Randal wrote:

  >Just wondered whether there is a definitive answer to the
  >issue of how to
  >display labels for mandatory fields.

  I've been giving a lot of thought to things like this lately.  Would this
  work?

  <label for="firstName">
  First Name:
  <input type="text" id="firstName" />

  IE, NN and Opera will hide the "required" statement, but Lynx will show it.
  I'm not sure what a screen reader will do with it though.

  Randal