RE: CSS2 :lang pseudo-class [Was: Re: proper coding or use for md ash]

Chris Croome wrote:

> On Tue 12-Mar-2002 at 05:44:51 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> >
> > I don't recall if it is possible to apply per-language
> styles although
> > I believe it is (maybe just wishful thinking).
>
> Just wishful thinking at the moment, the language pseudo-class: :lang
> [1] is not supported - -

It seems that attribute selectors, like in
[lang |= "en"] { ... }
are somewhat better supported.

But unless I'm missing something, such use of attribute selectors implies
some restrictions. The selector [lang |= "en"] matches only those elements
that themselves have an explicit lang attribute (with a value that begins
with "en"), not an element that inherits the lang attribute from its
enclosing element (parent).

However, _some_ per-language styling is thus possible, on some browsers.

--
Jukka Korpela
TIEKE Tietoyhteiskunnan kehittämiskeskus ry