speech only links

From: Seth Rothberg <sethmr@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:14:35 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi,

First off, apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum on this list. I've
no idea where the archives are kept. If you can point me there I'll gladly
shut up and do my homework.

I've been trying to come up with a more elegant way of presenting screen
reader only links than using the anchored1px transparent gif with alt text
trick, which works but strikes me as an ugly hack.

What I want to do is use a style sheet to accomplish something like this.

.speechlinks { display: none }

Now, I know that this means that anything  .speechlinks  should be hidden
from all user agents. However, I'm wondering if overiding like so,

@media aural { .speechlinks { display: block; } }

would be effective and proper. Right now I can tell you that Home Page Reader
pays attention to the first rule but ignores the rule in @media aural.
Haven't tested this in my JAWS demo yet but I'm assuming from past experience
that JAWS just ignores my stylesheets anyway.

Is this a technique whose time has not yet come? Or should I be waving
garlic, holy water and crosses at pages that try it?

Thanks,
Seth