Re: Query systems (e.g. search engines): a proposal on specific acces sibility guidelines

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:05:50 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> a consensus can be found, try to get some "W3C stamp" on it. I'm pretty sure
> that organizations like Google and AltaVista would take a simple proposal
> from the W3C seriously, especially if there's something in it that can be

You need to bear in mind that neither of these are really search engines,
they are both really vehicles for generating targetted advertising.  Google
has always had clean layouts and only uses text advertising, but, at least
in the past, my impression is that Altavista have deliberately obfuscated
their layouts to increase the chance that you will hit the advert
before finding what you really want.