  From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Simon White
  Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:55 AM
  To: WAI List (E-mail)
  Subject: Digital signatures and accessibility

  Dear All,
  After this thread came up the other day I promised that I would do some
more research on the subject. Well, I contacted the UK government department
about how they are dealing with the issue of accessibility and digital
contracts and signatures. I received a long reply that also dealt with other
things, but I thought that I would send you all the relevant bits as you
will probably find them beneficial in the future:

  Accordingly we [the UK Government] wish to make digital signatures
available through the maximum number of access channels.

  The consultation papers will be available on GovTalk www.govtalk.gov.uk.
[They are going to] contact [me] when these are published, and [they] hope
that [I] will take the opportunity to read and comment on them. In the
meantime, [they] have passed a copy of [my] email to the policy team for
their information.

  So, if anyone is interested in what the UK is doing regarding the
accessibility of digital signatures and contracts then this is the place to
find out about it and read the documentation when it becomes available. I
will post the URL for the documentation once it becomes available as this is
an area that I believe needs careful consideration. Also, the European Union
is in the process of creating new legislation on accessibility and commerce
on the Web, so I will keep all informed as to how that is developing as soon
as I know anything. Please feel free to post up the material if you receive
it before me (or if I am on holiday for example).

  Kind regards to all
  Simon

  Copywriter
  JKD