Re: FAQ - where are the FAQs for this list? (agree)

At 12:57 PM 2002-02-22 , Ineke van der Maat wrote:

>>In this case, "ALT tags" is the incumbent street language, >and there is no reason to try to 'correct' it.
>
>As well in the HTML 4.01 Bible as in the book "Beginning XHTML" is clearly explained what is a tag, what is an element and what is an attribute. The last book is written by David Raggett and other people working on
>W3C, so I really don't know why there is so much confusion about what is a tag and what is an attribute..
>
>Don't forget that there may be people on this list  are autodidacts. This people only  learn from books and looking websites for what is a bad site and what is a good site.. Using incorrect terms can be especcially for them very confusing
>
>Yes, Yukka my question was a little bit ironic because what I read in these books can not be  different from what
>can be read in other books or other teachingmaterials? Or am I studying websitetales when I study these mentioned books??
>
>When incumbent streetlanguage is the norm for FAQs, I will write one about Mokum.... Everyone on this list is now understanding what I am writing .. I suppose..

Let me agree that there is a weakness in my ability, to see the whole picture.

In my case, my reflexive reactions are based on moving in a circle not only of native speakers of English, but also speakers with an unusually high general level of "verbal skills."  Spiro Agnew got a lot of mileage out of the term "effete intellectual snobs" and "I resemble that crack."

I am aware that 'correct' terminology is more international, less culturally biased, than is "street language."  And that I am insensitive [unaware, not uncaring] to where I am engaging in culturally-narrow vernacular.  What I don't know is how much to weigh this effect in what we do.

Al