Re: Two links (Image and Text) side by side - was Re: Another question about JAWS 4.01 rendering

The reason that I checked your assertion is that it is
a potentially serious one in terms of the advice that
we give site designers.

That is use alt="" for images which are 'superfluous'

Here is the test page I used
http://www.soundingboard.co.nz/AltTest.nsf

At this point based on our testing I am not going to
change the advice that we give.

Cheers
Graham

On Thu, 21 February 2002, "Jean-Marie D'Amour" wrote

> Hi Graham,
>
> The behavior that i have indicated is for non-link
images.

> Jean-Marie
was Re: Another question
> about JAWS 4.01 rendering
>

> > Hi Jean-Marie
> > I confirmed this behaviour when the *image is a
link*.

> > This has interesting consequences for the sort of
> > design where there are two links side by side to the
> > same place (an image link and a text link),to aid
> > people who may prefer image navigation.
> >
> > I think the IBM site (as an example) chose to have
> > alt="" for the image in order not to have the same
link
> > text read out twice in a row.
> > However, perhaps a better solution would need to be
> > found?
> >
> > I don't like using alt = " " on an image as a link
> > because when you mouseover you get a little box,
which
> > can be confusing!
> >
> > For clarification when the image is *not* a link
alt=""
> > does *not* read the name of the image.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Graham
> >
> > On Mon, 18 February 2002, jm.damour@camo.qc.ca wrote
> >

> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > In JAWS 4.01, for an image with a null alt text
> > (alt=""), JAWS read the name
> > > of the image. If  alt is alt=" ", JAWS don't read
the