MathML (was: Thorny one...)

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 09:08:55 -0800
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 11:50 AM +0000 2/9/02, David Woolley wrote:
>I suspect that, even if Math-ML gets widespread support in visual
>browsers, it will not be supported in assistive technology except as
>raw XML.  While it may make machine processing and scaleable visual
>presentation easier, it may not have much impact on accessiblity.

I wonder how possible it would be to write an XSLT transform to
convert MathML to "English" designed for screenreaders, and if that
would be a good temporary solution until there are ATs that support
MathML -- this could be done on the server, on the client, or via
a proxy.

--Kynn

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com