Re: Thorny one - representing greek letters and formulae in an english page

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen <lras@loc.gov>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 15:06:51 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I would suggest using character entities.  Results will vary, but many
screen reader/browser combinations can pronounce the Greek character names,
especially if you move through that portion of the text one character at a
time, and you have properly declared the charset of the HTML page.

At 03:51 PM 2/8/02 -0000, you wrote:
>     <>  My views are:   1) Font tags   Are wrong.    2) gifs with ALT
>text:   Do not scale, but better for screen readers and  older browsers
><> with locale change to  greek     not sure about how most browsers will
>receive it.    4) Character  entities :   Probably purest way, probably
>inaccessible to  screen readers and older browsers     Does anybody have a
>view on this? or any decent resources I can  review?   Regards,   Steve
Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <lras@loc.gov>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <lras@sprynet.com>       <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>