From: "Joel Ward" <ward_joel@bah.com>
To: "WAI List" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: Creating accessible tables for layout and data: alt
attributes

Kynn,

You make a good point!

The key is deciding if the information is effectively presented
somewhere
else on the page.  Often it is not.  When I said an author may be
discriminating, I mean that the author may decide that some users don't
deserve the same content.  Isn't that discrimination?  (Not necessarily
bad thing in all situations, because content providers want to be
careful
about local customs and conventions, for example.)

If the author provides the content elsewhere, then I agree it may be
redundant and not needed.  But if the author is not sure, then I'd err
on
the safe side and add the alt text.  Also, redundancy is not always a
bad
thing.  Like you said, irritation is not an accessibility issue.  Some
users
may be irritated about the additional text, some may be irritated that
they
are left out.

And with regards to the amount of description you include, I would say
the
alt text is simply a label for what the image conveys, not necessarily
including every detail.  The longdesc or D-link could describe the image
in
detail.  That, of course, is optional and not always implemented.

What do assistive technology users think?  Anyone out there feel you are
being left out if alt text is not included for all images (apart from
spacers)?

Joel