Re: Screen Readers and Microsoft Access

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:05:20 -0500 (EST)
To: Lubow Scott <lubow_scott@bah.com>
cc: w3c <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, <sec508@trace.wisc.edu>
Well, slearly a whole lot of screen readers running on linux are  likely to
have major problems.

Also, a screen reader belonging to someone who never thought to buy access is
going to have a problem becuase there isn't an application to access the
content from.

This probably still means that most screen readers can use it. But then the
argument looks a lot like "most people don't use a screen reader, so why
worry about the few left over" to me.

These things can be resolved, but I would suggest that this isn't the most
access-friendly way to do it. (Unless you know everyone has bought windows,
or think that the cost of a new system - list price $199 - is a reasonable
thing to impose).

chaals