Re: Creating accessible tables for layout and data

From: Steve Carter <steve@juggler.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:24:49 -0000
To: "Jim Byrne" <j.byrne@gcal.ac.uk>, "W3c_Access" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> > He almost certainly means that.  The common spacer.gif should certainly
> > have an empty alt text.  There was a recent discussion about whether
> > other images are always noise.  Noise images should have empty alt
> > attributes.

> I have no problem with spacer gifs - I can see the logic of an empty alt
> attribute. The images in question are photographs - of a decorative
nature.

IMO you should focus on the goal of the page and the goals of the images.
In an online campus prospectus then the pictures are there to give you a
(distorted:-)  idea of campus life, so you might want the ALT text to read
"Ducks on the lake on a warm summer day.".  If the image is there simply to
to improve the visual balance of the page or is part of an overall layout
then it is much less meaningful on its own and should IMO not contain any
ALT text.