Re: Creating accessible tables for layout and data

From: Jim Byrne <j.byrne@gcal.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:27:35 +0000
To: W3c_Access <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
on 30/1/02 10:45 pm, David Woolley at david@djwhome.demon.co.uk wrote:

>> You are right the pictures are purely decorative. I am trying to get this
>> right; are you saying that decorative graphics should not have descriptive
> He almost certainly means that.  The common spacer.gif should certainly
> have an empty alt text.  There was a recent discussion about whether
> other images are always noise.  Noise images should have empty alt
> attributes.

I have no problem with spacer gifs - I can see the logic of an empty alt
attribute. The images in question are photographs - of a decorative nature.
>> One of the problems I think about when adding alt tags to photos that are
> There are no alt tags in HTML, only alt attributes.

A mere slip of the keyboard.

All the best,

Jim Byrne Project Director, The Making Connections Unit, Glasgow Caledonian
University, Glasgow G4 OBA, 0141 331 3893

Everything you need to know about publishing accessible information on the

Services: Website Accessibility Audits, Accessible Web design, Accessible
Website Management Training.

The Making Connections Unit: http://www.mcu.org.uk/
Scottish Disability Information Mailing list: