Re: Creating accessible tables for layout and data

From: Jim Byrne <j.byrne@gcal.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:27:35 +0000
To: W3c_Access <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
on 30/1/02 10:45 pm, David Woolley at david@djwhome.demon.co.uk wrote:

>> You are right the pictures are purely decorative. I am trying to get this
>> right; are you saying that decorative graphics should not have descriptive
>
> He almost certainly means that.  The common spacer.gif should certainly
> have an empty alt text.  There was a recent discussion about whether
> other images are always noise.  Noise images should have empty alt
> attributes.
David,

I have no problem with spacer gifs - I can see the logic of an empty alt
attribute. The images in question are photographs - of a decorative nature.

>> One of the problems I think about when adding alt tags to photos that are
>
> There are no alt tags in HTML, only alt attributes.

A mere slip of the keyboard.

All the best,
Jim

--
Jim Byrne Project Director, The Making Connections Unit, Glasgow Caledonian
University, Glasgow G4 OBA, 0141 331 3893

Everything you need to know about publishing accessible information on the
Web.

Services: Website Accessibility Audits, Accessible Web design, Accessible
Website Management Training.

The Making Connections Unit: http://www.mcu.org.uk/
Scottish Disability Information Mailing list: