From: <kynn-eda@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:54:16 -0800 (PST)
To: inekemaa@xs4all.nl (Ineke van der Maat)
Cc: kynn-eda@idyllmtn.com, jon@spinsol.com, chas@munat.com (Charles F. Munat), w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Ineke wrote:
> I read this
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
> <!ENTITY % fontstyle "tt | i | b | big | small">
> I think that the fontstyle-tags have to do with presentation.

Yes, that is correct. They are presentation markup.  Presentation markup
is bad from a dogmatic standpoint, and CSS should be used instead. However,
at the present time presentation markup is neither deprecated (as some
would tell you) nor does it introduce any particularly bad accessibility
errors even when misused, since nearly all browsers and AT are able to
do something quasi-sensible in presentation markup.

> But as I try to seperate presentation from structure, I always use
> CSS to attain these effects..

Good for you!  Tell people to buy my forthcoming book. ;)

--Kynn