policy on charging for plug-ins

From: jonathan chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:40:52 +0000
To: wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Not sure if this is really a guidelines issue?

real player does not quite have a monopoly, however I wrote earlier
about a restrictive approach being adopted.....

To get live video from cnn or abc it now seems one has to buy the real
player upgrade.

I find this wholly unacceptable, personally, and cannot imagine the BBC
agreeing to such a policy, however one cannot tell...

Anyone else care to voice an opinion or view?

does ms have an alternative?
will it be opensource?

where is the open source w3c media player?

http://www.peepo.com "enjoy surfing the net"