From: Al Gilman [mailto:asgilman@iamdigex.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 7:35 PM
To: EDixon@rnib.org.uk; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: advice sought for design of a search facility for a
sub-site

At 11:12 AM 2002-01-22 , EDixon@rnib.org.uk wrote:
>If you have a special area of a site that is distinct from the rest of the
>site for example a sub-site then what is the most usable and accessible way
>to display a search facility  and search results that offers a scoped
>search?
>
>Please refer to the following two links for examples of a search facility
>offering a scoped search:
>
><http://info.rnib.org.uk/script/wai/combo.html>http://info.rnib.org.uk/scr
ipt/wai/combo.html

><http://info.rnib.org.uk/script/wai/radio.html>http://info.rnib.org.uk/scr
ipt/wai/radio.html

>I have carried out an evaluation on both radio buttons searches and combo
>box search with 25 users and have found that the combo box search was shown
>to be easier to use for people with serious sight problems and learning
>difficulties. I have been informed that similar tests have been carried out
>with very different findings therefore any comments would be greatly
>appreciated.

AG:: I don't understand a couple of things.

But first, thank you for offering side by side code samples to make your
question concrete.  I hope lots of people will follow your example.

I don't understand how you did the user testing given that the radio button
code wouldn't work.  The two buttons have to have the same name and
different
values for the user selection to be communicated to the server.

So, with a few more fiddles, where the code sample says

<input type="radio" name="radiobutton" value="radiobutton">
        RNIB
<input type="radio" name="radiobutton" value="radiobutton">

Consider instead it could say

<input id="abcd0001" type="radio" name="searchScopeConstraint"
value="storeOnly">
 <label for="abcd0001">Online Shop</label>
<input id="abcd0002" type="radio" name="searchScopeConstraint"
value="wholeRNIBsite">
<label for="abcd0002">RNIB</label>

My impression is that the combo box is on the whole the superior solution.
Historically there was a feature added to Lynx to transform select elements
into series of radio buttons but this was in part because of the low level
of
communication between the curses screen and the DOS screen readers of the
day.
In today's screen reader climate it would appear that is a step backwards
for
most users.

Contemporary screen readers generally deal effectively with the opening and
closing of the list box also known as select element if I understand
correctly.

The one thing to be warned about is to avoid using onChange events in the
select element.

A good model to benchmark your work against is the search interface to the
archives at Google Groups.  I am not saying mimic it in all particulars but
if
you start there you will be in close proximity to where you want to wind up.

I also don't understand the comment about how there is not code space for
enough labels for the radio buttons.  See the above example for one possible
coding.

However, see also Jim Thatchers's reasoning for why he suggests people
ignore
LABEL and just TITLE the elements with what you want to say.

[apologies for not providing links, it's just a matter of a little time with
Google but I don't have that time right now.]

Note I put the labels after the buttons as per visual convention.  According
Thatch's report this is not a problem, and the screen readers read at least
checkboxes that way regardless of the textual order.  This point is
currently
an open issue in the development of WCAG 2.0.  But the direction of change
is
to allow the visual order and ensure association of label and control via
the
markup.  The debate is about how fast or soon to change what the authors are
asked to do.

Al

-