Re: [htmldesigners] Generic Icons

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:58:42 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> linux?
>
> I have had a response indicating that although the open source movement
> has not fully embraced the issue of copyright on illustrations it is

Those icons that are parts of programs will (IANAL) be covered by the
same licence as the rest of the source code.  All "open source" licences
permit commercial use, although not all code in Linux distributions is
"open source".

> likely that the designs may be in the public domain, at least for
> non-profit use.

It is difficult or impossible to put things into the public domain,
at least for copyright.  In the UK you need to wait for 70 years after
the author's death.  The nearest you can get is an explicit licence that
grants permission to do anything.

Copyright may not be the issue, but rather design protection.  Clean
icons are so simple that it is difficult to avoid reproducing the
same image without copying.