RE: onmouseover-touchscreen-pda

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:09:34 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, "SHARPE, Ian" <Ian.SHARPE@cambridge.sema.slb.com>
Cc: "'Access Systems'" <accessys@smart.net>, jonathan chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
<http://trace.wisc.edu/>http://trace.wisc.edu - did
>some work on making interfaces to kiosks so people could use alternative
>access technoogies with them. But I don't have an exact reference to hand.

 EZ Access Interface Techniques

But it doesn't emulate mouseovers.

IIRC the current kiosk use of this bundle of techniques is for touchscreen
content, which doesn't use mouseover.  You touch it, you activate it.

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, SHARPE, Ian wrote:
>  I would be very interested to know whether anyone has investigated the use
>  of touch screens for visually impared users? I know it sounds silly but
>  developed a kiosk system about 5 years ago using a touch screen. Not
>  accessible but as a mildly amusing asside, because I had to stick my face on
>  the screen to read it my nose kept triggering click events which opened
>  unwanted applications and navigated away from the page i was reading!!!
>  Maybe we need a nose down event handler!! Anyway, these kiosks are becomming
>  ever more popular and I have recently been asked to give some feedback on
>  another kiosk project. I thought that it might be possible to use speach to
>  describe menus on screen (in much the same way as voice mail systems do) and
>  provide a number pad for input. This may not always be suitable
>  (particularly if you needed to fill out a textual form for example) but
>  could be used for ticket purchase or general information if designed well.
>  Speach recognition was another thought as that seems to be taking great
>  leaps forward currently.
>  Of course, you've still got the problem of how the hell you know where to
>  find the actual kiosks!!!:-)
>  Cheers
>  Ian
Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.
>Charles McCathieNevile
<http://www.w3.org/People/Charles>http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61
409 134 136
<http://www.w3.org/WAI>http://www.w3.org/WAI    fax: +1 617 258 5999