Re: /> in head of xhtml page being rendered by emacs-w3

"Kynn Bartlett":
> At 4:54 PM +0000 1/21/02, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
> >as I'm going to be beta testing the peepo site using emacspeak/w3
> >and for the present there is no Xemacspeak/w3, I'm stuck with not
> >using xhtml. otherwise the students have to scroll down every page.
> >
> >I could redesign the site to get rid of 26 />s but not all of them...
>
> Would it be possible to use, say, server-side parsing to detect
> emacspeak/w3 and serve up a version without the />s, as a stopgap
> measure?  I don't know enough about emacspeak/w3 to tell you if it
> uniquely identifies itself in HTTP headers, though.

Knowing emacs users they are perfectly capable of sending whatever they
want in the UA field (as is their right of course...)  Would not the
obvious solution be use HTML4.01 for all clients, keeping XHTML as a
storage format for parsing by your XML tools should you wish to.

Jim.