Re: Opinions please - flash site, flash navigation - but accessible alternative

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:22:48 -0500 (EST)
To: Jim Byrne <j.byrne@gcal.ac.uk>
cc: W3c_Access <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
The fact that the navigation will be seperate worries me. If I get a bookmark
to an inaccessible version, I have potentially no idea where to go or what to
do. (But then, are they proposing at least a site that provides basic web
things like bookmarks?)

I presume that by a compliant site they are not proposing a text alternative
to an entirely flash site - there is a considerable difference. To what level
are they proposing the site will conform to W3C guidelines (I presume they
are talking only about WCAG)?

I would advise asking for more detail on these questions before proceeding,
and in particular I would be very concerned about the navigation question -
without a satisfactory answer for that I would not accept such a proposal.

(I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with having a flash
version, but the relationship between that and an accessible version is
something I would like to know a lot about - what will each version look
like, how will users know the difference, if at all, ...)

cheers

Charles McCN