Re: WA - background-image in CSS

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> At 10:58 AM -0800 1/18/02, Charles F. Munat wrote:
> >You post your page, you are now in the public sphere. And the public
> >has a right to regulate what you can and cannot do in the public
> >sphere. That includes telling you what you can do with your web
> >page, and how you can do it.
>
> Yeah! To hell with freedom of expression!

as has been said before, there are limits to freedom of expression, you
cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater for example.
  or as someone told me once, your freedom to swing your arms ends at my
face.

> it -- has the right to ORDER him to take my needs into account!

if you violate the law, yes.

> Like, if I go to Charles's page, and it's not what I want it to be,
> I can demand that he rewrite the page to:
>
> (a) Meet my purposes instead of his. For example, maybe my purpose
>      is to determine whether or not he and I are sexually compatible.

if you chose to put the information on the web, then it must be
accessible, inother words if there is some symbol that indicates your
sexual preferences, and you don't interpert that symbol in alternative
format then yes it is inappropriate.

> (b) Provide the information I want to have. His information may be
>      incomplete. If this is the case, I have a right to require him
>      to give me more information -- because I want it.

no you have a "Right" to get what has been posted, nothing more.  the law
is "Disparate treatment"

> (c) Require him to take down parts of the site that seem to be
>      unnecessary to me. For example, maybe he posts both a picture

why? as long as you can get it all, what you chose to utilize is up to you

> (d) Make him get rid of bad things too. After all, we can't be
>      criticizing, for example, governments.

well there are some sites that I would like to tear down but they allow
equal access to the C**p

> This is the type of control that's being suggested,

No it is not and I am sure you are aware of that.

>   The statement was made that the author is not
> allowed to decide what parts of his content are "essential" and what
> is not.

not exactly, you can decide what is essential, BUT if you put it up then
it has to be avaliable to all users.  an alt tag is not exactly up front.

and besides what you think is important may not be what someone else
thinks is important.

for example, you put up a picture of your storefront as the background to
the stores web site....a wheelchair user is going to look to see if there
is a ramp or accessible entrance, even if you don't even think about such
a thing or consider it important.  so if that photo is not tagged or
somehow known how can they know if they can get in.

>  Once you start deciding that authorial intent doesn't
> matter

no it is deciding which of the things that you think are usefull I think
are important.

> and the public has the right to make demands on authorial
> intent,

not intent, but presentation

> you pretty much squash any concepts of reasonable expression
> on the Internet.

no you can express anything reasonable or otherwise, just make sure
EVERYONE can get ALL of the information.

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks