Re: WA - background-image in CSS

At 10:58 AM -0800 1/18/02, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>You post your page, you are now in the public sphere. And the public
>has a right to regulate what you can and cannot do in the public
>sphere. That includes telling you what you can do with your web
>page, and how you can do it.

Yeah! To hell with freedom of expression! If I don't like what Charles
Munat puts on his web page, I -- meaning anyone who possibly looks at
it -- has the right to ORDER him to take my needs into account!

Like, if I go to Charles's page, and it's not what I want it to be,
I can demand that he rewrite the page to:

(a) Meet my purposes instead of his. For example, maybe my purpose
     is to determine whether or not he and I are sexually compatible.
     Information about web standards is not helpful to me in this
     regard.

(b) Provide the information I want to have. His information may be
     incomplete. If this is the case, I have a right to require him
     to give me more information -- because I want it.

(c) Require him to take down parts of the site that seem to be
     unnecessary to me. For example, maybe he posts both a picture
     of his house, and a text description. Tear down that image!
     Completely worthless AND it clutters the web. And heavens
     knows we can't have the web being cluttered.

(d) Make him get rid of bad things too. After all, we can't be
     criticizing, for example, governments.

This is the type of control that's being suggested, Charles, and
the type of control which you are supporting with your vague notions
of "public control."  The statement was made that the author is not
allowed to decide what parts of his content are "essential" and what
is not.  Once you start deciding that authorial intent doesn't
matter and the public has the right to make demands on authorial
intent, you pretty much squash any concepts of reasonable expression
on the Internet.

--Kynn

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours