Re: FW: Posting XML

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:00:22 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> > From:	Rowland Shaw [SMTP:Rowland.Shaw@crystaldecisions.com]
> >
> > This doesn't seem "add" anything extra, other than bandwdth consumed, as
> > far
> > as I can see.

In addition, when used with normal HTML forms, it breaks backwards
compatibility, and it encourages poor usage of XML by making everything
text, rather than making a correct division between text and attributes,
and by producing flat XML.

I suspect XML is being used as a fashion here, and I'd question whether
it is really appropriate to work in XML until after you've done the basic
server side validation; you should never trust client side validation,
as anything other than an optimisation of the user interface.

I've seen a number of people's attempts to convert to XML (I guess it
used to be ASN.1) and they normally completely fail to use attributes.