Re: Legal requirements RE: statistics

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:17:35 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> am I correct in saying that Netscape 4.7 does not use DOM 1?  isn't DOM 1
> the recommendation?
>
> if this is correct, providing backward compatibility for NN 4.7 is not
> possible without workarounds.

Given that it is quite rare to find pages that actually insert simple
form controls with <noscript>, the workaround is probably simply to
set a global flag to cause all scripting routines to immediately return
true.  There is a fundamental backwards compatibility assumption in
W3C technologies.  The problem with Netscape, as Kynn points out, is
not that it is old, but that it breaks that backwards compatibility
assumption.

There are good non-accessibility reasons, including initial versions of
security bulletins from Microsoft, for not relying on non-declarative content.

Incidentally, most scripting seems to use DOM0 which is nowhere
standardised.  As far as I can tell, even document.write, when used at
load time, is DOM0; as I read it, the DOM1 version requires an explicit
open - I believe there are people in W3C who dislike the load time version.