Re: Bobby inaccuracy?

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:39:39 -0800
To: "Scarlett Julian (ED)" <Julian.Scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> <sound class="penny_drop">
> I think deep down I did actually grasp what alt text was for but I was just
> being a bit dense today.
>
> I see now what everyone has been saying and have learned a good lesson.

It's not an immediately obvious distinction. In fact, it seems that the
natural assumption is that the alt is a "label." You'd be surprised how
many times I've heard that "A-ha!" response when it finally clicks that
it is a replacement.

If you can think of a clearer way to explain this, we'd all benefit.
This question gets asked so often on this list. We really need a FAQ
that we can just refer people to.

Charles F. Munat
Seattle, Washington