RE: forms problem

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spinsol.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:38:53 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> wizzards pain me.
>
> I get lost in them.  there is no way back.  I cannot look ahead, if
> my browser crashes in the middle...

All properly designed wizards:

a. Tell you at the start what they are going to do (solves problems 1
and 3).
b. Allow you to go back (solves problem 2).
c. Make you aware of any unexpected consequences to a decision
(solves problem 3 some more).
d. Don't crash! :)

In fact if they don't tell you what they are going to do, and allow
you to go back I wouldn't call them a wizard.

(I still hate wizards though, especially the amusingly named "wizard
wizard" that comes with VB6).

It's interesting that a UI concept that is intended to make computers
easier to use is so universally hated.