Re: forms problem

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:42:24 -0800
To: DPawson@rnib.org.uk, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 3:44 PM +0000 1/14/02, DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:
>We  are putting together an ecommerce web site, and want AA status.

What is the specific priority 2 checkpoint you're trying to address?

>On the ordering side, we have a form which requires filling.
>For any entry field we need to be able to offer help text.
>Base requirement is that forms screen remain 'available' as data is entered.
>Options considered.
>1. single help page, navigated to via links.
>E.g. one form page, one associated help page.
>Issues, end user getting lost, with inconsistant return path.
>2. Pop up help window.
>Issues. title text on a link (explaining that you will be taken to a new
>is not accessible without access technology scripting.
>the pop up window itself is doubtful, even if focus is taken to that window.
>Return paths may be confused with 'close this window' type operations.

Other options:

3.  Multiple help pages, one per form item, perhaps autogenerated
     by script (but static pages would work fine too).  These would
     help with the "return back to the right place" problems.

        <a name="labelyourname">Your name:</a>
        <input type="text" name="yourname" id="yourname">

4.  A form page, and an "annotated form" with the same fields
     but more wordy explanatory text.

5.  A "wizard" approach whereby scripts are written to help the
     user complete the form through explanations -- this could
     be combined with (3) so that the specific help page has
     a way to fill out the field with an appropriate value.

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours