Re: Authority of developers

At 8:00 AM -0500 1/14/02, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Organisations like the HTML Writers' Guild might be in a position to
>collect the opinions of their many thousand members on what is a reasonable
>level of professional knowledge, and provide customers of their members with
>some idea of what they are paying for, when they should listen to a designer,
>and when they should negotiate with a designer who is deciding what parts of
>a design).

Maybe they could be in a position, probably they're not. Microsoft is in
a better position to dictate these terms, as is anyone else who offers a
certification of any kind related to web development. Do those include
accessibility? If so, then you may have a point that "professional
standards" currently include accessibility. If not, then I think we are
deluding ourselves by claiming that it's gross negligence to not follow
WCAG.

--Kynn

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours