Re: Free, Multi-Platform Accessibility Analysis Tools

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:07:31 -0800
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To clarify something:  Bobby used as a web service continues to be
free; only the downloadable version costs money.  I don't know what
factors affected that decision and it's not my place to speculate,
so I won't.

The reasons that a downloadable version is so valuable include:

(1) It fits better with traditional workflow and QA concepts; many
     web developers would not want to put untested versions on the
     web, even if it's to test them.

(2) Many of my students do work on intranets instead of public sites.

For the current exercise in Week Two I am requiring the students to
use the web service version of Bobby. But I still miss the utility
of the (previously) free standalone Bobby, although I can't justify
requiring the students to pay $99.

--Kynn

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours